what to expect for your upcoming family session and how to prepare
Let’s tell your story
I am so excited you have chosen me to capture your family portraits. I look forward to creating memories and timeless images and helping tell your story. My goal is to focus on these moments of yours so you can live in the moment. Your job (yes, you have one!) is to stay connected with your family, whether it is by touch or simply talking. Get cozy. Lean in. Trust in me as your photographer…. you’ve chosen me for a reason! This guide shares what you can expect from your photography experience with me and provides helpful, important tips on having a successful session. If you have questions or need additional information, please feel free to email me.
What to expect
- Before your session, you’ll receive a questionnaire. This will help me not only get to know you better but create a customized session for you!
- At the session, you can expect to relax and have fun while I coach you through fun poses that feel natural and authentic. I may give you prompts that evoke an emotion or a feeling. It’s okay to let yourself go and feel those feelings. If you’re wanting the perfect portraits where everyone is smiling and looking at the camera, you won’t get that with me. What you will get is portraits with heart. The feeling of connection. Real life. I want you to leave our session feeling more in love with your family. If you’ve gotten to this point and decided we’re not a good fit and you’d rather have a more posed session, I understand. I can give you some names of other photographers who are excellent at those kinds of photos. As a reminder, the deposit is non-refundable.
- I encourage you to make this a fun family experience. Instead of bribing your children to smile, make it a feel-good day. Make plans to go out for food or a treat before or after the session as a family, not as a reward but as part of the overall experience.
- Rest. Get a good night’s sleep. Don’t plan your session before or after a big trip.
- I don’t expect young children to be perfect. My goal is capturing your authentic selves and if that means your kids are running and climbing, by all means, run and climb with them! Please don’t scold your children. It brings the whole mood of the session down and children are less likely to smile. Nothing they can do will upset me as long as everyone is staying safe.
- About 2-4 weeks after your session, you’ll receive a link to an online gallery of the images from your session to view and download! From there, you are able to select and order the images to print and you can share the gallery with your friends and family. Galleries are active for about 3 weeks from the delivery date, so download and order prints right away!
- Once the order is placed, you will receive your beautiful prints at your door in two weeks. and
What to wear
Here are a few tips for putting together your outfits.
Decide on a palette of 3-4 colors to base your outfit on (including pants and dresses). You want a cohesive feel, but without being too matchy. Think complementary. I suggest looking at Pinterest to find inspiration. Find my Pinterest page @foxandwagon and click on Session Wardrobe Ideas.
Arrange your outfits ahead of time on a big bed, including accessories, in natural window light. Make sure all clothes are clean, pressed, and ready to go on hangers a few days before your session.
Choose outfits you feel confident and beautiful in and then coordinate everyone else’s outfit from there. Still stuck? Text me with pictures of your outfits!
Layer your clothing to add texture and dimension to your outfits. Include a belt or necklace or if its cooler out a scarf or sweater cardigan. First and foremost: be you. For example, I love earrings so I would wear big feather earrings and a few bracelets. Do you love hats? Bring one (but don’t wear it, yet). Does your family love boots? Wear them! Have a long, flowy dress? Rock it!
Tips for women/female-presenting and men/male presenting folks.
Females – Get your hair styled and makeup done. Makeup should be natural but slightly heavier than normal. Even if you don’t wear makeup, a little concealer under the eyes, mascara, and lip tint goes a long way. For makeup and hairstylist recommendations, contact me!
Males – Plan a haircut for a week before. Trim your facial hair. Cut and clean your fingernails. Press your shirt and pants. Make sure your shoes and socks are clean and neat.
Kids – Choose elevated brands. Opt for Gap over Carters.
Things to avoid: t-shirts with large graphics, bright colors , any neon colors, tube socks, overly formal clothes, flip flops, and dirty shoes. And some colors just don’t photograph well like firetruck red, dayglow orange, highlighter yellow, and Seahawk green… essentially bright primary and secondary colors.
My Client Closet has over 80 items to rent from size XS-3XL. They’re $20/piece per session. It saves you the cost of a brand new outfit! The payment covers cleaning, getting wrinkles out, and mending if necessary. The payment will be included in your invoice.
Things to Bring
□ Makeup (for touch-ups)
□ Extra outfit (just in case)
□ Baby wipes for little kids
□ Poop bags for dogs
Things to leave at home or in the car
□ Cell phones
□ Game consoles
□ Messy snacks (fruit pouches, chocolate, etc)
How many outfit changes do we get? Do we get multiple locations?
You have the option to wear two outfits if time allows. Layers work well! Time does not stop for clothing changes. To keep things simplified, I generally like to stick to one location with a lot of variety or two locations that are close in distance.
Are my shoes going to show?
Yes. I recommend wearing clean shoes or buying new shoes and waiting until our session to wear them. Opt for neutral colors and avoid sneakers with big logos and bright colors. Also avoid flip flops and spike heels. Choose flats, kitten heels, or wedges instead.
How long will my session last? And how many photos do we get?
My full family sessions last about 1 hour and you will receive digital 30 images in color and black & white. Stand alone mini-sessions are 20 minutes long and include 15 images. Event minis are 20 minutes in length and include 10 images. There are options to upgrade to the full gallery.
What’s this gallery you speak of?
About 2-4 weeks from our session date, I will upload all edited images to a sleek, online gallery. From there you will download your photos and have the option to order prints, enlargements, and canvases.
Do we get a copyright to all our photos?
Short answer, no. You’ll receive a print release so that you are able to print wherever you choose! The only things you aren’t able to do is edit, sell, or enter them into contests. Note: When you share your photos, please do not screenshot photos. It severely decreases the quality. Simply e-mail them to yourself and download to your phone. I also ask you to tag Fox & Wagon Photography!
Do you have a referral program?
Yes! It’s the biggest honor when you share my name with your friends and family! For every client you refer, both you and your referral will receive 5% off your next session OR +$15 to spend in print products through the gallery.
Where can I leave a review?